Did you know there are health benefits from humor and laughter?
Take the time to laugh to get these 7 Health Benefits from Laughter:
- Laughter diminishes Pain by triggering endorphins, which provide you with some pain relief. It also brings your body and mind back into balance.
- Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical stress and tension, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes afterwards.
- Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.
- Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins help to promote an overall sense of well-being.
- Laughter protects the heart. Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.
- Laughter burns calories. One study found that laughing for 10 to 15 minutes a day can burn about 40 calories—which could be enough to lose three or four pounds over the course of a year. Yes, you still need to go to the GYM (LOL)
- Laughter may even help you to live longer. A study in Norway found that people with a strong sense of humor outlived those who don’t laugh as much. The difference was particularly notable for those battling cancer.
My prescription for good health: Seek more opportunities for humor and laughter so we can improve our emotional health, strengthen our relationships, find greater happiness—and even add years to our lives.
©2017 Winifred D. Bragg, MD. All Rights Reserved.